I came across a fantastic blog post by Author Dan Tortora that explained the KDP Select program for authors who self-publish their ebooks through KDP publishing and sell on Amazon. He shares how it all works with KDP and Kindle Unlimited and how they enhance each other when you enroll your ebook in KDP Select, and the Kindle Unlimited program for readers, (ebooks only, not paperbacks) will entitle the author to royalties of their page reads.
Those pages read when enrolled and with KU get the author paid from the Amazon Global Fund. It’s like extra sweetness to your royalties from not only your ebooks sold, but when a reader reads any of the pages of your ebook that is enrolled!
It really is that simple. Yes, you can only sell your ebook “exclusive” through Amazon, but the trade-off can be very profitable for the author. I hope what Dan shares within his article clears up any confusion or hesitations by authors when self-publishing your next ebook.
AMAZON KDP SELECT PROGRAM GLOBAL FUND (USA) ~ Article From Author Dan Tortora and Coaching – What is the KDP Select and the Global Fund Payout? How does the KDP Select Global Fund work?
As a nonfiction author coach who helps authors publish and market their books, I often get questions about this subject.
This information is for authors on Amazon.com (USA). Scroll down to learn more.
If you’re an author with an ebook available on Kindle Unlimited, receive payouts for the total number of pages of your book that Kindle Unlimited members read during each month.
You must be enrolled in KDP Select to qualify for these payments, making your book “exclusive” to Amazon and available through Kindle Unlimited. When a Kindle Unlimited member reads your book, you get paid for every page they read. (See this link for more on payments and the payment schedule.)
These payments will be in addition to the self-publishing royalties you receive from Amazon when your book is purchased on Amazon.com.
There is a 60-day lag between the end of the month and the time you get your payout.
How much does KDP pay per page read? How much is the monthly payout and how has it varied over time?
The author payout to US authors has ranged from roughly $0.0040 to $0.0050 per page read, or $0.40 to $0.50 per 100 pages read.
Here is a graph of the KDP Select Global Author Fund Payout, per page read, for US-based authors on Amazon.com, from July 2015 through September 2021:
How is the payout determined?
The payout comes from the Kindle Select Global Author Fund (AKA the Kindle Select Global Fund). The fund is based on the subscription fees paid by the total number of Kindle Unlimited members. As KU members join or drop off the Global Fund changes. As Amazon explains, authors receive payouts for the previous month’s page-reads of their book(s).
Those payouts vary based on their home country; “the share of fund allocated to each country varies based on several factors, such as exchange rates, customer reading behavior, and local subscription pricing. Author earnings are then determined by their share of total pages read, up to a total of 3,000 pages per customer per title.” (For more explanation, see “Royalties in Kindle Unlimited.”)
Where is the payout posted?
KDP Select authors can see the previous month’s payout while logged in to KDP in their Prior Month’s Royalty Report. Written Word Media (the book promotion company that runs FreeBooksy and Bargain Booksy) also posts the KDP Global Fund monthly payouts on its website.
Is your book enrolled in KDP Select? If so, what has your experience been with it and with the payouts?
Thanks for reading,
Cat’s Note: I wanted to add how KDP describes the benefits of KDP Select, KU, and why it’s popular, and it is in reference only to your Ebooks. The program is not available for print books. I hope those authors who visit and read this post find this information helpful.
As you’ll see, KDP Select and Kindle Unlimited end up working together for YOU to earn more MONEY…
Why Enroll in KDP Select?
- Earn higher royalties
- Earn your share of the KDP Select Global Fund when customers read your books from Kindle Unlimited. Plus, earn 70% royalty for sales to customers in Japan, India, Brazil and Mexico.
- Maximize your book’s sales potential
- Choose between two great promotional tools: Kindle Countdown Deals, time-bound promotional discounting for your book while earning royalties; or Free Book Promotion where readers worldwide can get your book free for a limited time.
- Reach a new audience
- Help readers discover your books by making them available through Kindle Unlimited in the U.S, U.K., Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, India, Japan, and Australia.
Frequently asked questions
- What is Kindle Unlimited?
- Kindle Unlimited is a subscription program for readers that allows them to read as many books as they want. When you enroll in KDP Select, your books are automatically included in Kindle Unlimited. Your books will still be available for anyone to buy in the Kindle Store, and you’ll continue to earn royalties from those sales like you do today. For more information about Kindle Unlimited, click here.
- What does it mean to publish exclusively on Kindle?
- When you choose to enroll your book in KDP Select, you’re committing to make the digital format of that book available exclusively through KDP. During the period of exclusivity, you cannot distribute your book digitally anywhere else, including on your website, blogs, etc. However, you can continue to distribute your book in physical format, or in any format other than digital. See the KDP Select Terms and Conditions for more information.
- Where can I see the terms and conditions of KDP Select?
- Click here to see KDP Select Terms and Conditions.
- For more details on KDP Select, click here.